Services

A Destitute King With No Country


I had a dream last night about Orson Welles, who I have written about here several times before. In the dream, he was doing a magic trick. He asked me to give him a coin. I placed a quarter in his gloved hand. He closed his hand and then opened it to reveal a key. He said, "This is what you were looking for, isn't it?"

I went downstairs, made my coffee and went online and did a search on his name. I thought that perhaps this was the day he was born or had died. It is not either of those. I searched on "Orson Welles magician" and it brought up links to the documentary about him by that name. Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles is a film I had not seen. I had tried last year unsuccessfully to find it on some streaming services.

But there it was, on YouTube, for free - perhaps not legally, but I watched it this morning. If it is still available and you have an interest, watch the version below (but go full screen).

And there is a brief scene in the film that is pretty much my dream. Somehow, that bit of film was in my head, and now I have rediscovered it.




If the embedded video isn't working, the film is available for purchase.
Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles 
and many of his films as actor and director that are referenced in the documentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment