Services

Pooh Bear and Gender Identity

Image: Creative Commons Zero - CC0
I hadn't thought about it lately, but I know as a young reader I wonder about whether Winnie the Pooh was a boy or girl. The voice in the Disney animated cartoons sounded like a male but the name sounded female. But it didn't really concern me, which is probably a good thing.

Then I saw online that October 14 was the day in 1926 that Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne was published. Some consider this to be Pooh's birthday.

Milne was a writer for the British humor magazine Punch. He published stories and poem there earlier that were for children or whimsical adult readers.

The first Pooh story, “In Which We are Introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees and the Stories Begin,” was published in The London Evening News on Christmas Eve in 1925 and then broadcast on the BBC on Christmas Day.

It was only in my adult life that I discovered that although Milne based the Pooh stories on his son, Christopher Robin, and his son’s stuffed bear, he didn’t even read those stories aloud to his son.

There are several modern films about Milne and his son's complicated relationship. In the imagined story of Christopher Robin, he encounters his childhood friend Winnie the Pooh in the flesh (or fur or fuzz) and Pooh helps him remember the importance of wonder and make-believe. In the much more serious and satisfying film, Goodbye Christopher Robin, we get deeper into the actual relationship (or lack thereof) between author A.A. Milne, and his son.

The gender of Winnie-the-Pooh is brought up in that first book:

“Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps there isn’t. Anyhow, here he is at the bottom, and ready to be introduced to you. Winnie-the-Pooh.
“When I first heard his name, I said, just as you are going to say, ‘But I thought he was a boy?’
“‘So did I,’ said Christopher Robin.
“‘Then you can’t call him Winnie?’
“‘I don’t.’
“‘But you said —’
“‘He’s Winnie-ther-Pooh. Don’t you know what “ther” means?’
“‘Ah, yes, now I do,’ I said quickly; and I hope you do too, because it is all the explanation you are going to get.”

Not a very satisfying explanation but then that may be the point: the gender doesn't matter.

Winnie the Pooh - Google Art Project
From "Christopher Robin leads an expedition" Pooh's sign says "North Pole, Discovered by Pooh, Pooh found It". 




No comments:

Post a Comment