Services

The Moon, Jupiter and Spica

This Memorial Day Weekend, from May 25 to 28, we had some clear skies and some rainy ones. Tonight should be clear in my neighborhood and I will be able to see a very bright “star” near the moon. But it is not a star. It is Jupiter.

Venus sets in the west not too long after the sun had set, and the Moon and Jupiter were the two brightest objects in the sky.

I knew to look for a fainter true star. It is fainter but still one of the brightest stars, even in moon’s glare. This is Spica. It is the brightest star in the constellation Virgo the Maiden. I'm not very knowledgeable about the zodiac, but I know it is a key star in that study.

Spica is a first-magnitude star, but it appears much fainter than Jupiter. That is because Jupiter is relatively close (or at least nearer)to Earth. This is what draws me to gazing at the night sky is my semi-knowledgeable way: the idea that Spica is about 262 light-years away, and I am looking at its light.

The universe makes me think about the first meanings of words like WONDERful and AWEsome.


Spica is the easiest star to spot in Virgo. There is a saying to find Spica you can "follow the arc of the Big Dipper to Arcturus and speed on to Spica." But that probably doesn't make it any easier for the average Earthling to find because most people know very little about the night sky.

Besides Spica, other bright stars in Virgo include many I had never heard of: β Virginis (Zavijava), γ Virginis (Porrima), δ Virginis (Auva) and ε Virginis (Vindemiatrix). Other fainter stars that were also given names are ζ Virginis (Heze), η Virginis (Zaniah), ι Virginis (Syrma) and μ Virginis (Rijl al Awwa).

Again, the wonder and awe of all this is discovering that one of the stars, 70 Virginis, has one of the first known extrasolar planetary systems and it contains a confirmed planet 7.5 times the mass of Jupiter. I can't even really grasp the size of my own Earth. And the star Chi Virginis has one of the most massive planets ever detected, at a mass of 11.1 times that of Jupiter. And there are 35 verified exoplanets orbiting 29 stars in Virgo.

All this makes me feel like such a small part of the universe. But it makes me feel like part of he universe. I feel better knowing these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment