Services

Does the Web Mean the End of Forgetting? And Is That Good or Bad?


I wrote a post once about the virtual life that is likely to follow you after your death.  I joke to friends that because of my queue of posts to various sites that I have, I will probably be posting new things for awhile after I pass from this world.

And I know I have forgotten more than I remember.   Can the Web help me with that?

This 2010 article from The New York Times suggested that "The Web Means the End of Forgetting."

Is that a good thing?  Could this also create an existential crisis? Does what the Internet offers make it impossible to erase your posted past and move on?
...a challenge that, in big and small ways, is confronting millions of people around the globe: how best to live our lives in a world where the Internet records everything and forgets nothing — where every online photo, status update, Twitter post and blog entry by and about us can be stored forever...

Our character, ultimately, can’t be judged by strangers on the basis of our Facebook or Google profiles; it can be judged by only those who know us and have time to evaluate our strengths and weaknesses, face to face and in context, with insight and understanding. In the meantime, as all of us stumble over the challenges of living in a world without forgetting, we need to learn new forms of empathy, new ways of defining ourselves without reference to what others say about us and new ways of forgiving one another for the digital trails that will follow us forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment