Services

A Few Good Reads

I started using Good Reads back in 2008. It is a website that let's you see what your friends are reading and keep track of what you've read (which I have always tried to do in the back of my journals, but it was never shared), write reviews for others, and chronicle what you plan to read (more important to me in these increasingly forgetful days).

Since it's also a social network, you can find new "friends" and get book recommendations from them. It also has book trivia games, literary quotes and other stuff.

Two of my first posts on GoodReads.com were of books written by Nicholson Baker.

U and I: A True Story
U and I: A True Story
by Nicholson Baker

I picked it up because I like his writing AND I like John Updike who is the "subject" of the book. Baker has a bit of an Updike obsession. I'm not sure that fans of Baker or Updike will like it for those reasons.

I did. Of course, know that I also made a drive once in my undergrad days to Cornish, NH to try to see or connect with J.D. Salinger, so I know something of his book's landscape.


The Fermata

The Fermata by Nicholson Baker

Another book of Baker's that I really enjoyed and could "identify with" (as much as that is possible in this case).

This is the story of Arno Strine who has "fold-powers." Arno can stop time and continue to walk around and interact with the world. This was one of my boyhood fantasies (along with flying and being able to become invisible whenever I wanted to).

He doesn't get evil with his power but he does do some rather immature boyish things like undress women (but in a "loving way"). It's not sci-fi in the true sci-fi way but his "chronanisms" are fantastic and literary beyond my own boyhood fantasies.

Thanks for writing the book for me, Mr. Baker.


FACTOID:  A fermata is a musical notation indicating that the note should be sustained for longer than its note value would indicate. Exactly how much longer it is held is up to the discretion of the performer or conductor.