Services

A Good Sign for Reading?

Should it been seen as a good sign for the state of reading that the top-selling, most wished-for and most-gifted item on the Amazon website is the Kindle?

I can see most-wished-for (as in their customer wish-lists) since it would be cool to have one, but they cost a couple hundred bucks. (Even with Black Friday deals).

The Kindle Store currently has more than 360,000 titles, including 101 of 112 books currently found on the New York Times Best Seller list. New York Times Best Sellers and most new releases are only $9.99, and there are a good number for less.

I suspect that if I had one, I would be even more behind on my To Read list.

Or should this be viewed as a positive economic indicator, rather than one about reading habits?


1 comment:

  1. I guess it's my age. I thought that significant personal achievements included blogging and using a Blackberry.I am addicted to the habit of touching my finger tip with the edge of my tongue before turning a page and then turning it back again. Cheating by flipping select pages ahead of where I am and retrospective flipping back are habits and skills well learned. I am not sure that licking my finger before scrolling down on a kindle will be the same.

    ReplyDelete